SBI New York City National Kidney Foundation Community Partner of the Year Award
June 12, 2013
•SBI-New York, General
• 0 Comments
Sanford-Brown New York City receives the National Kidney Foundation Community Partner of the Year Award
The National Kidney Foundation has named Sanford-Brown New York City their Community Partner of the Year for 2013. At the recent symposium held at the Roosevelt Hotel in Manhattan, Ingrid Montecino, Division President presented the award to Sanford-Brown Assistant Program Director for Medical Assisting and Service Learning Coordinator Nelia Del Valle.
Ellen H. Yoshiuchi, Division Program Director shared… “For the past year, Sanford-Brown NYC has supplied student volunteers to assist at the K.E.E.P. public health screenings for those at risk for kidney disease. We deeply appreciate your participation.” Sanford Brown NY held 7 separate service learning events to assist in the K.E.E.P. program in 2012 with 72 total students taking part to help over 700 participants.
According to the NKF website, KEEP is a free health screening program offered by the National Kidney Foundation (NKF) for individuals at increased risk of developing kidney disease.
The goals of KEEP are to:
- Raise awareness about kidney disease especially among “high risk” individuals
- Provide free testing for people at increased risk for kidney disease
- Encourage people “at risk” to visit a clinician and follow the treatment plan recommended
- Provide educational information so that “at risk” individuals can prevent or delay kidney damage
- Provide clinician referrals for follow-up care, if needed
- Provide ongoing information and support
Sanford-Brown Institute New York City has supported NKF as well as many other organizations in the community through service learning. During 2012, over 1,600 members of the student body of the New York City campus participated assisting over 8,000 participants in various medical related functions and activities. Service Learning is a key component in the school’s teachings to provide hands on learning experiences in addition to Sanford Brown’s on campus curriculum.